Liverpool submit £20m bid for Douglas Luiz
According to Matheus Leal, a journalist for Brazilian outlet Torcedores.com (h/t Birmingham Mail), Liverpool have made a £20 million bid for Aston Villa’s Douglas Luiz.
The Reds are going through an injury crisis in the middle of the park. They have three of their senior midfielders on the sidelines.
Such a lack of depth in midfield was highlighted in the previous few games where we came out short.
But now, Jurgen Klopp seems to have found an option to increase the depth of his midfield. Luiz has entered the final year of his current contract, and now seems the perfect time to make an approach for him.
The 24-year-old defensive midfielder joined Villa in 2019 from Manchester City. Since then, he has played a pivotal part in the middle of the park for the Birmingham-based club.
But the Merseyside outfit are not the only ones interested in the Brazilian international. Rivals Arsenal, Tottenham Hotspur and Newcastle United have all emerged as possible destinations for the midfielder who is yet to renew his current deal.
A strong and experienced player of the game, he could make a very good signing for the Reds. Klopp needs to fix his midfield woes, or Liverpool could struggle during the course of the season.
The 24-year-old is a proven Premier League player, and the price is also decent for the player in question.
But with only one day left before the transfer window slams shut, it remains to be seen if Villa will entertain any offers for their midfielder.
The Brazilian could be convinced with the lure of Champions League football, but whether Steven Gerrard will allow his player to leave, remains a big mystery.
Time is running out and Klopp will know that. It remains to be seen if a new midfielder is signed this summer and Liverpool fans could be headed to a very interesting deadline day this summer.
Ten Hag confirms Wan-Bissaka Man United stay
Manchester United manager Erik ten Hag has confirmed that Aaron Wan-Bissaka will be staying at the club beyond Thursday’s transfer deadline.
The Red Devils have spent over £200 million this summer, signing Tyrell Malacia, Christian Eriksen, Lisandro Martinez, Casemiro and Antony.
Newcastle United goalkeeper Martin Dubravka is set to join on loan in the coming hours, and Ten Hag has hinted that the transfer business is done.
Speaking in today’s press conference, Ten Hag said that he does not anticipate any more signings, but refused to rule out a late addition to the squad.
He told Manchester Evening News: “I think so for this window, it will be the end [after Dubravka signing], but when there is great opportunity you always have to be alert as a top club.”
Meanwhile, Wan-Bissaka’s future has been a topic of speculation in recent days with the Red Devils looking at the prospect of landing a new right-back.
However, Ten Hag has now confirmed that the 24-year-old will be staying and added that the squad could remain as it is from September until the New Year.
He added: “Aaron [Wan-Bissaka] will stay. This squad will go from September to a minimum January.”
Aside from Wan-Bissaka, Cristiano Ronaldo has been regularly linked with a move away from Old Trafford, but he looks likely to continue with the club as well.
Ten Hag did not categorically dismiss the prospect of the 37-year-old leaving, but suggested that the club need quality players to keep the consistency going.
When pressed on Ronaldo’s future, he said: “It is clear. We need quality players. You need more to cover all the games to keep the consistency going.”
The Red Devils started the transfer window in a slow fashion. They made just three signings in Malacia, Eriksen and Martinez ahead of the Premier League opener.
However, the hierarchy were forced to react after back-to-back losses. Casemiro and Antony are definitely statement signings, and Ten Hag should be satisfied with the transfer business.
The club are probably short in the right-back role with the lack of strong competition for Diogo Dalot, but Wan-Bissaka has the chance to prove that he can impress in the final third.
A new centre-forward has been highlighted as another priority for Ten Hag, but the club could revisit their plans in January. As thing stand, Ronaldo looks on course to stay this summer.
With Marcus Rashford and Anthony Martial renewing their lost confidence, United have the position well covered. It should not be forgotten that Ronaldo netted 24 goals last term.